A special COPOMIAO delegation in a private audience with Pope Francis in Vatican City (May 11, 2022).
Italian American Unity and Influence Elevated to New Heights
A Message from President Basil M. Russo:
Through the dedication and cooperation of 60 of our country’s most influential Italian American organizations, the Conference of Presidents of Major Italian American Organizations has completed a year of precedent-setting successes, which include:
- A Private Reception at the home of the Italian Ambassador in Washington, D.C., to establish a more productive working relationship
- A Trip to Rome to meet with pivotal Italian Government Officials to develop stronger ties
- A Meeting with the Vatican Secretary of State, and a Private Audience with Pope Francis, to discuss the significant role the Catholic Church has had in our heritage
- A National Meeting of Delegates In NYC and a reception with the Consul General of Italy to coordinate mutual goals
- The Promotion of an inclusive Italian Heritage Curriculum in grades K-12 throughout our country to ensure our heritage Is taught in our schools
- The Initiation of a successful National Campaign that prompted the White House to issue an appropriate Columbus Day Proclamation
- The Coordination of Lawsuits across the country that have resulted in several favorable court rulings to preserve Columbus Statues
- The Creation of a Partnership with the Mayor of Genoa, to establish a Columbus Research and Study Center in Italy (read Mayor Marco Bucci’s letter announcing the Center here)
We have had a tremendously productive year, and I extend my thanks and gratitude to all of the member organizations of the Conference of Presidents.
Through our combined efforts, we have created a sense of national unity within the Italian American community, we have established meaningful ties with the Italian people and their government, and we have elevated the stature and influence of our community throughout our country.
We will continue to build upon these successes in 2023. Just wait until you see what we have planned for the coming year!
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE OF PRESIDENTS OF MAJOR ITALIAN AMERICAN ORGANIZATIONS
Formed in 1975 and based in NYC, the Conference of Presidents of Major Italian American Organizations is comprised of 60 of the most influential, cultural, educational, fraternal and anti-defamation groups in the nation. The Conference of Presidents is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit institution.